May 6, 2011 CINNAMON SWIRL LOAF
Fresh bread. It’s delicious. You should really try it sometime.I’m sitting in an electrical engineering review right now. I guess if I do poorly we’ll all know why.
It’s really good the first day, about 20 minutes after you take it out of the oven, or if you can’t finish it all on the first day, it’s really really good toasted with some TJ’s Buttery Spread of Wonder.
YUM YUM YUM YUMMMMMMMmm.
CINNAMON SWIRL LOAF
- 7 to 7 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast (I use 2 t. instant yeast)
- 2 C. milk
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. shortening (I usually use butter)
- 2 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- In large mixer bowl combine 3 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In saucepan heat milk, 1/2 cup sugar, shortening and salt just till warm (115 – 120 degrees), stirring constantly to melt shortening. Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl; add eggs. Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough. Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic (5 -8 minutes). Shape into a ball.Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till double (about 1 hour). Punch dough down; turn out on lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll each half into a 15×7-inch rectangle. Brush entire surface with water.
- Combine the 1/2 cup sugar with the ground cinnamon. Spread each rectangle with half the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Roll dough up as for jelly roll, beginning with narrow side. Seal long edge and ends by pinching together. Place, sealed side down, in 2 greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise in warm place till almost double (35 to 45 minutes). Bake at 375 degrees till done, 35 to 40 minutes. (If crust browns too quickly, cover with foil last 15 minutes of baking.) Remove bread from pans and cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves (but I halved it and it came out fine).
3 posts in 3 days, I’m on a roll WOOooooo!
I’m also delirious because I woke up at 7 to go to the library at 8 and stayed there for 4 or 5 hours with Jill after drinking a small cup of coffee. Bad news for my murmur, jitters and my bladder. TMI? TOO BAD.