Skip to content


Exploring, creating, & reflecting one day at a time

If you happen to be one of those few people who consistently follows this blog, you will notice that there has been a delay in my posting. This is because my card reader decided to stop working so I can’t upload photos, and we all know words aren’t nearly as interesting without pictures.

So now I will try to recap the last week as briefly as possible without missing the good stuff:

We had a great time at Reggae Mansion in Kuala Lumpur although the city itself seemed sort of like a more sprawling, dirtier version of Singapore. A Singapore Jr., if you will. But Singapore’s public transportation leaves KL’s in the dust and a quick glance at a map of KL’s streets looks like nothing more than a bowl of spaghetti, or laksa I would be more appropriate I guess. So we spent our less-than-48-hours in KL trying to navigate (we were separated for several hours one day), eating great food, and looking at butterflies and insects bigger than my hands at the Perdana botanical gardens.
Tom, Eric, and I had a great stroll through Little India, which was actually much more vibrant and (seemingly) authentic than Singapore’s. We ate lunch at another banana leaf spot but this one was more of a locals only kind of joint so we for our food only after much confused conversing and foolish gesticulations. It was worth it though–samples of over six types of spicy (like, actually spicy) curries atop a generous serving of rice and Indian pickles. At night we went to the famed Jalan Alor, a night market full of street food vendors, and tried Hokkien noodles, a proclaimed specialty of the area. They were alright but the real star was the meat-on-a-stick we had for dessert. I got crab claws, fried, grilled, and spiced to perfection right in front of me.

Aside from the food and lodging, KL didn’t seem to have too much to offer so we weren’t terribly disappointed in our short time allotted there.

I had researched Phuket and knew there were parties in the beach community of Patong but I didn’t realize how intense it would be and also that our hostel was on the main “strip” Banglan Road. We made friends with a bunch of Brits & Irishmen but also fell asleep to the soothing sounds of thumping bass, so it was a blessing and a curse.

After two nights we took a choppy ferry ride to Koh Phi Phi, where we found the sixth member of our group, Alan. The island was as picturesque as I’d hoped and imagined but the beaches were a bit unfriendly because of unusually large wind gusts (which pelted us with sand). The highlight of Phi Phi was definitely scuba diving at one of the smaller islands. It was Eric and my first time diving, and we both ended up being super happy with our decision to splurge. We saw tons of gorgeous fish & coral despite the poor visibility brought on by the wind. I see a PADI certification in my future! (Because another expensive hobby is just what I need)…

SPEAKING OF WHICH–I dropped my camera today for the first time ever when we got back to Phuket. A solid 4 foot drop onto linoleum left my mount screwed up and my wide angle lens unable to focus. Solid. Aside from cringing at the huge bill I’m going to have to foot for the repairs (assuming that’s an option), I’m not thrilled about having to schlep a large heavy paperweight–err–lens around for the remainder of the trip. Also I guess landscapes are out of the question now so expect lots of artsy bokeh-heavy shots from now on. Ugh.


Tags: , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: